INGREDIENTS ( To make 36 x 3inch biscuits)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces white chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 ounces peppermint candy, chopped into 1/8-inch pieces
(1) Preheat the oven to 160ºC /325ºF (Gas Mark 3).
(2) In a sifter, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
(3) Sift onto a large piece of wax paper and set aside until needed.
(4) Heat 1 inch of water in the bottom half of a double boiler over medium heat.
(5) With the heat on, place the white chocolate in the top half of the double boiler.
(6) Use a rubber spatula to stir the chocolate until completely melted and smooth (about 4 minutes.)
(7) Transfer the melted white chocolate to a 1-quart bowl and set aside until needed.
(8) Place the granulated sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle.
(9) Beat on medium for 4 minutes until smooth.
(10) Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl, then continue to beat on medium for 2 more minutes until very smooth.
(11) Add the egg and the vanilla extract and beat on medium for 1 minute until incorporated.
(12) Add the melted chocolate and beat on medium for 1 minute until combined, then once again scrape down the bowl.
(13) Add the sifted dry ingredients and mix on low until incorporated (About 30 seconds)
(14) Add the chopped peppermint candy and mix on low until incorporated (About 30 seconds)
(15) Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a rubber spatula to finish mixing the dough until thoroughly combined.
(16) Using a heaped tablespoon of dough for each cookie (approximately 1/2 ounce), portion 12 biscuits, evenly spaced, onto each of 3 non-stick baking sheets.
(17) Place the baking sheets on the top and centre racks of the preheated oven and bake for 9 minutes (or until lightly golden brown around the edges) swapping the sheets from top to centre halfway through the baking time (at that time also turn each sheet 180 degrees).
(18) Remove the biscuits from the oven and cool to room temperature for 30 minutes.
(19) Store the biscuits in a tightly sealed plastic container until ready to serve.
Keep an eye on the biscuits in the oven during baking. The biscuits bake very quickly (only 9 minutes), so don't spoil the party by being distracted during the baking time.
White Chocolate Peppermint Biscuits will keep for several days at room temperature if stored in a tightly sealed plastic container. For long-term storage (up to several weeks) the biscuits may be frozen in a tightly sealed plastic container to prevent dehydration and to protect them from freezer odours